Of Poseidon

Of Poseidon - Anna Banks I was so excited when I picked up this book. I mean look at it! The cover is gorgeous and the blurb promises you mermaid Prince, and quite possibly the beach and the sea and rainbows and stars and... it just doesn't deliver.The very beginning is a let down.I SMACK into him as if shoved from behind. He doesn’t budge, not an inch. Just holds my shoulders and waits. Maybe he’s waiting for me to find my balance. Maybe he’s waiting for me to gather my pride. I hope he’s got all day.That's the beginning and immediately warning bells started sounding in my head. The writing is so stilted and bland, was this book even touched by an editor? It reads like the unedited manuscript to be honest.When her friend gets killed in chapter 3 by a shark I was really angry at Emma's callous dismissal of her friends initial warnings and fears that there was something in the water bumping her legs. Of course this plot point was totally ruined when in chapter 2 Galen (Emma's love interest) says that there is a shark in the water. Way to ruin the suspense of the story.Uploaded with ImageShack.usHer friend dies a horrible death, Emma's super duper power is... TALKING TO ANIMALS. That's right folk, no special lightning or controlling the water currents, just talking to... animals. Don't even get me started on the fact that Galen should have helped them right away when he got to the scene, instead he watches Emma stunned at her supremely awesome power of talking to animals and doesn't even attempt at saving her friend who is being torn to shreds by the shark. First sign that Gale is NOT prince charming, he is prince asshole. Emma also mourns her friend for about two minutes before she focuses completely on prince asshole... erm... Galen.And.... I stopped at this point and skimmed some but it was just bad. So yeah, don't bother and find something else to read.