Asshole Supreme with wings that shed edible sparkle...

Angels' Blood - Nalini Singh

I have been avoiding this book like the plague for a long time now but I finally caved, however I can't say it was an all around nice ride. I have my issues with this book, there where some good moments but the relationship left me with a sour after-taste. The prose is the thing that really stands out in this book, sometimes its too purple, Singh writes very beautifully even if plot suffers and she wasn't able to build a proper relationship for Elena and Raphael.

This book starts out really solid, Elena is a likeable heroine, Singh does a really good job at getting the ball rolling and making you interested in this world she has written. It is for this very reason that its sad she drops the ball so soon afterwards and has Elena sexually harassed and stalked by practically every new male she meets, including her "love interest."

Raphael is this sort of macho man who sees women as objects to used and owned. Unfortunately for Elena he takes a keen interest in her and proceeds to terrorized her, stalked her and chased her around New York for very little reason other than he enjoys making her quake with fear. Finally Elena shoots him with a special gun that blows out half his wing but instead of running away like her hair was on fire she feels guilty for having destroyed his 'beautiful" wings and calls for help. Of course, she is in the wrong now because even though Raphael was out of control and ready to tortured her with fear she physically hurt the winged asshole so she is hog tied by his security, locked in a room and made to wait until asshole supreme with wings wakes up.

Of course, when asshole supreme with wings wakes up their relationship turns mushy and lovely, he is remorseful of what he has done to Elena and thus the honeymoon begins. Elena of course bonds with her abuser and for no other reason other than Raphael being handsome she is in love and proclaiming to herself that Raphael "is in her blood" and that she will "crave him to her grave" which is truly ridiculous as he has done nothing but harass, manipulate and stalk her for 50% plus of the book.

I see a serious issue with this relationship, I never felt like Raphael and Elena are in love with one another. All I see when I read about them is a sick obsession with each other because he finds her amusing and she denies him. I really don't know why Elena is in love with Raphael other than his hot body because he is such an asshole to her that if it wasn't because we know he is the love interest I would think him the villain.

The main plot of this book while very interesting it gets lost within Elena and Raphael's abusive relationship. However whenever it makes an appearance it gets quite interesting. I doubt I will continue with this series as Elena and Raphael are just not likeable to me.