[Day 18 of Book Challenge] A book that dissappointed you a.k.a The day I get pelted with tomatoes

The Diviners - Libba Bray Stormdancer  - Jay Kristoff Darkfever (Fever #1) - Karen Marie Moning Killing Sarai - J.A. Redmerski Gravity - Melissa West Poison Study - Maria V. Snyder Unearthly - Cynthia Hand

Before you pelt me with rotten fruit please let me put on a few garbage bags. *slips them on* Thank you, now you may commenced. XDDD

The Diviners by Libba Bray, I waited for this book with baited breath for months and when I finally got to read it I was so disappointing with it that I think I cried and gnash my teeth a little. One of my problems with the book is that Evie and the rest of the cast remain the same throughout the story and never grow or evolved. This was really annoying for me because this book is quite long, very many things could have been fleshed out better. The plot in itself is quite thin and it suffers a bit because the cast is so big.

Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff, the anticipation for this book nearly killed me. What could be more enticing to a Japanese anime and manga enthusiasm such as a myself than Japanese Steampunk?

I had problems with it to say the least.

The descriptions where over the top and distracted me from the main point of the story. I had problems with the way the suffixes where used, to begin with one does not simply call a person san or sama (mr/mrs/ ms or lord/lady) one must attach the name of said person;

ex. Yukiko-san or sama

in order for it to work. I was saddened that the author did not take time to research Japanese customs and culture along with the language. The little details is what make a story and fleshes it out and the author failed miserably in this regard.

Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning, there is so much hype surrounding this series. Everyone on the my friends and watchlist likes it, except for a few, and I simply cannot resist a good Urban Fantasy series. They are my bread and butter. Unfortunately, while I found the world building amazing and the prose fantastic the characters sunk it to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean for me.

Mackyla is a shallow, stupid girl who gripes about the littlest things like cutting her hair and dying a dark colour. Thinks she can catch her sister's killer better than the police and is never granted any amount of respect by the author. Barrons is a sick, violent man who doesn't have any qualms about dragging Mackayla by her hair and using her to his own ends and yet we are supposed to romanticism him as the epitome of man.

I nearly vomited at the sexualization of violence against Mackayla and how her rape and molestation is written to be titillating.

Killing Sarai by J.A. RedmerskiThis book is a common case of "could have been better" There is an interesting story here to tell, sadly it is buried under grammatical errors, stilted dialogue and exposition and characters with an emotional flat line.

There where parts I liked very much but I felt that as a whole this story needed a lot more work and editing. There was verb confusion, repeating a character's name twice in a sentence, starting sentences with "I" four times in a single paragraph. It felt more like I was reading the bare bones of a story and not the finish product. I hope the author next time takes her time to polish off the story.

Gravity by Melissa West, This book was a disappointment all around,Ari is supposed to be this tough girl who has had military training since early childhood yet her thinking pattern does not reflect the disciplined and heavily structured way a soldier in training ought to be. Also there is one scene that made me think of one scene in the movie Alien when Ripley confronts the creature and the monster is growling, saliva dripping from its jaws. Only Ari is not upset because whatever fluid is falling on her is 'sweet' and its coming from the main love interest. Major EEWWWW!

Poison Study by Maria V. SnyderI just could never grasp Yelena's character, she was all over the place. One minute a trusting girl and the next a bitter young woman. Valek was okay and interesting at times but he wasn't given enough screen time with the heroine for me to truly appreciate him and believe him when he made his wild declaration of love. BTW, while he is declaring he is undying love he also mentions that he though about killing her twice, really that is the stuff serial killers whisper to their victims. Yelena, of course, is flattered by it.

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand,  I was so disappointed I read this book after having read Angelfal by Susan Ee and wanted moar Angel stories but this book was kind of bad. Clara is a self centered girl, everything is about her and her "purpose."  The dialogue is boring. This book only redeeming quality is Tucker and Clara's cute moments together leading up to them dating.