Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Swordsman Romantic Story v. 1 (Rurouni Kenshin (Paperback))

Rurouni Kenshin, Volume 1 - Nobuhiro Watsuki This is some serious quality manga right here, shonen at its finest. This is a story about war, people, love, second chances, regrets and trying to move on from the pain of losing everything. This is a pretty dramatic manga, Kenshin is a man (yes, a man not a teenager) full of regrets after having gone through the revolution that usher Japan into the Meiji era (heh, and here my mom, I was in my teens when I first read it, said you didn't learn anything while reading manga but I learn Japanese history right here) and after the war he is spent, his hands covered in blood in his efforts to bring about a better future for the people. But ten years have pass and his past is still chasing him and he finds himself asking the question if his stance to never kill again is feasible if he wants to protect the people he has come to love and all the people he wants to protect in order to atone for his sins. Really deep stuff right here, I recommend you read it if you have a thing for samurai's, quiet relationship that are all about gestures and characters that redeem themselves in heart wrenching ways.