Don't even bother with it

The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith

This book is in serious need of being trimmed by at least 100 pages and re-writen to add some action. As it stands it would have benefited from being titled "The day to day minutiae of Commoran Strike, a failure of a Private Eye" for there is nothing to suggest in this book that it is a "page turner" as BookPage touted so fervently.

In fact, the BBC reported that Rowling send this manuscript anonymously and it was decline by all and sundry. It appears the only things that recommends this dour book is the revelation that Robert Galbraith is none other and J. K. Rowling. In fact, when it was revealed that this was a Rowling book it shot into number 1 rankings and came out of the obscurity it would have faded into had it been otherwise.

I picked up this book purely out of the boredom, the irony is so rich in that statement. I laugh at myself for having through this book would be exciting at all. The prose is overly bloated with excess information that only serves to drag down an already very boring plot. There is conversation after conversation that goes around in circles and adds absolutely nothing to the story or move the plot around.

The characters are emotionally distant, Robin is a one dimensional obliging girl and Strike, the protagonist, is a champion at angsting over everything that is wrong with his life. Every single character might as well be a cardboard cutout for all the personality they displayed. Everyone showed very little emotion besides depression or cynicism, there is no humour or any action that could saved this book's plot or cause it to move alone.

I won't even try to pick up another book Rowling writes, they all proven to be disappointments and a waste of money. I guess it sucks to be me, because while Rowling laughs all the way to the bank, I am left wondering what to do with this paperback.