I burned for real!

Burn for Me - Ilona Andrews

Okay, drop everything you are doing or reading because Ilona and Gordon have done it AGAIN, ladies and gentlemen!

This book was an awesome, wild ride the likes of which I haven't read in a looooonnnnggg time when it comes to PNR. Every other major author out there has so far managed to screw up their start to their PNR series this year but not Ilona and Gordon, they delivered like nobody's business in this book.

While I have been anxiously awaiting this book this year, I do confess to having doubts that I wouldn't like it quite as much, all of us seasoned readers know of the disappointment that can come from too high and expectation. I gotta say however, I was truly, sincerely, insanely impressed.

This is one awesome start to this series and while I do have a few bones to pick they are minor compare to the grand scheme of things. People worry that it was going to be 'romance-y' need not have doubts, while we do have a few paragraphs waxing over Rogan's hotness and perfect bodies and lyrically written sentences steeped in cheese, they are actually less than what is found in most PNR. While the sexual tension between the main couple, Rogan and Nevada, is thick we do not get insta-love and over the top declarations of devotion. We do get a flowering bond between our romantic twosome and it is enough to leave you wanting more but at the same time not enough to make gag.

Regarding the characters, when it comes to Mad Rogan, Ilona and Gordon made about as crazy as I have read a character in a while. He is honestly a psychopath, he has no regard for rules and peoples lives until they serve some sort of purpose. How do you like or fall in love with a man like that? Well, you don't at first, you dislike him and wondered what the hell is wrong with Nevada that she likes him so much. I actually didn't even start to like him until 75% of the way through when I finally started to warm up to him.

There is a slight problem with the pacing in the first half but if you persist you will find the issue fixed and quite an amazing second half of the book that really makes this first instalment. The ending was quite amazing, really over the top, it felt like Ilona and Gordon went down the road of go big or go home.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR BOOK 2!